The church’s history goes back to 1779 when sixteen ‘hardy souls’ were baptised in the River Aire and formed the first Baptist Church in Leeds. From this beginning, the church grew and in 1825 a new building in South Parade near the centre of the city was built. Over the years it planted other churches with the parent church moving to its present site in Headingley in 1909.
In 1993 a new mission community was formed in Adel. Cragg Hill Baptist Church was received as a mission community of the whole church a couple of years later. A fourth mission community, now called “Connect” and meeting in Bramley, was started in September 2002.
The evening service at Headingley brings together some people from these four mission communities but the increasing attendance of many who have no other congregational allegiance has meant that it has developed its own identity and is now a Mission Community in its own right, called Sent